Thursday, March 10, 2011

Time to plant the seeds...

Do you plant seeds indoors each spring? I do...it doesn't always work so well because sometimes I get so busy I neglect them and I get a bunch of weak, leggy wonders that don't survive the transition to outside. But other years I get great plants so every March I do it again and hope for the best.
I save old egg cartons for all sorts of things but they make great seed starters. Today I am just planting my basil. I have 2 kinds, regular and a lime basil. We use lots of basil all summer long and I give away plants as well....
I love the tininess of these seeds. Imagine all the life that is in each one...
I put them on top of the seed mix (I buy a seed starter mix that has no additives, etc. but is nice and airy. I tamp them down a bit and then spray them with my trusty spray bottle.
Once they are good and damp I cover them loosely with plastic bags I save for this occasion and then put them in a warm, not overly bright spot to wait for them to germinate. I check them every day to be sure they are damp but not soaking and once the sprouts are up I remove them from the plastic and put them in a bright but not overly bright spot...tomorrow or over the weekend I will start my tomatoes...

1 comment:

sara said...

Great idea! I've tried to start herbs inside but never had much luck... but you've inspired me to try again :)thanks for sharing!